The Benefits Of Preventive Maintenance Through 18-Wheeler Truck Diagnostics
Owning and managing a fleet can be exhausting yet rewarding. More flexibility, more control of your day-to-day, and more income are just some of the reasons owner-operators strive to run their own 18-wheeler fleet at some point in their careers. But, as the centuries-old saying goes, "with more power comes more responsibility."
And one of those responsibilities is maintaining a preventive maintenance schedule for your fleet. Because no two vehicles are alike, maintenance needs are different among your heavy-duty trucks. One might need an oil change in the next 5,000 miles, while another may need a brake pad replacement. With so many factors coming into play, managing a fleet can be more challenging than you anticipated.
But the benefits of preventive maintenance with the help of cutting-edge diagnostic tools are still present. In this article, we'll be exploring the world of preventive maintenance, its benefits, and how at Accelerated Fleet Services, we implement advanced computer diagnostic tools to help you detect issues before they become a problem.
Why Are Diagnostics Solutions Important?
The first step in implementing an effective preventive maintenance program is understanding why diagnostic solutions are so crucial.
The modern semi-truck merges complex machinery and technology with numerous systems and components that must all work together seamlessly to last you for years. From the engine to the brakes to the suspension, all of these systems must operate at peak performance to ensure one of the trucks in your fleet doesn't break down.
However, identifying the source of a problem in a large commercial truck can be quite the challenge. With so many moving parts and complicated systems, it can be difficult to pinpoint the cause of an issue. This is where diagnostic solutions come in. These tools can help quickly identify problems before they turn into costly breakdowns.
Diagnostic tools can scan the various systems in your truck to detect issues with engine performance, fuel efficiency, emissions, brakes, transmission, electrical systems, and more. When an issue is detected, diagnostic tools can provide detailed information about the problem, allowing mechanics to quickly diagnose and fix the issue. This can save time and money, as mechanics don't have to spend hours trying to find the root of the problem.
The Importance of Preventive Maintenance
Preventive maintenance (PM) is a proactive approach, with the aim of helping you take control of your fleet’s maintenance needs. Whether it’s scheduling your next Express Lube service appointment or keeping track of your fleet’s repair history, preventive maintenance is a surefire way to improve your operation on a number of fronts.
The Benefits of Preventive Maintenance
If you’re on the brink of enrolling in a preventive maintenance program, you’ll want to know more about the benefits:
- Reduced downtime: PM reduces the likelihood of unexpected breakdowns and repairs, which can lead to significant downtime and loss of productivity. By scheduling maintenance activities before equipment failure, fleet owners can avoid costly repairs and downtime.
- Extend vehicle life: Regular maintenance ensures that your truck is running efficiently and effectively, which helps extend the machinery's lifespan. Preventive maintenance can identify small issues before they become larger problems that can cause extensive damage, reducing the need for costly replacements.
- Improve safety: Regular maintenance also ensures that your fleet is operating safely. By conducting regular inspections and repairs, fleet owners can identify potential safety hazards and address them before accidents occur.
- Enhance equipment performance: Preventive maintenance can help optimize truck performance by ensuring that all components are functioning as intended. By keeping your fleet in good working condition, you can reduce fuel consumption and increase productivity..
- Save money: Although preventive maintenance requires an upfront investment in time and resources, it can save fleet owners money in the long run by reducing repair costs, increasing vehicle lifespan, and preventing downtime. Fleet owners can also save money by identifying and addressing small issues before they become larger problems that require costly repairs or replacements.
- Compliance: The trucking industry is always under the watchful eye of regulation agencies, and regular maintenance is required by the FMSCA and your state’s DOT agency. Implementing a preventive maintenance program can help you meet these requirements and avoid fines or penalties for non-compliance.
To maximize the benefits of preventive maintenance, fleet owners should develop a comprehensive maintenance plan that includes regular inspections, scheduled maintenance activities, and documentation of all maintenance activities. We also suggest you invest in training for your operators and use software to track maintenance activities and vehicle performance.
Our Preventive Maintenance Program
Are you still on the edge? At Accelerated Fleet Services, we’ll help you increase your productivity and save money with our extensive preventive maintenance program.
Our preventive maintenance program involves regularly checking, cleaning, and replacing parts and fluids in your trucks based on custom intervals that we track automatically using our fleet maintenance software. This software is an all-purpose platform that plugs directly into your semi-trucks’ OBD port and provides real-time visibility into your vehicle's diagnostics.
With fleet maintenance software, we can create and scale a preventive maintenance checklist for your fleet that factors in each vehicle's unique environment and usage. We can also set alerts to inform us when a preventive maintenance task is due and schedule the task accordingly. You can choose to be alerted for certain preventive maintenance items and select other contacts to receive alerts along with a custom description of what needs to be done.
At AFS, we’re all about keeping our customers happy. That's why we treat our customers like family and provide high-quality, white-glove service. We offer pick-up and delivery service, expedited trailer repair, and a best-in-class customer communication process that keeps you in the loop and your fleet rolling. We take the hassle out of downed equipment repairs, so you can focus on running your business.
Contact Accelerated Fleet Service Today
Investing in preventive maintenance may seem like an additional hurdle, but it's a worthwhile investment in the long run. By implementing a preventive maintenance program, you can save on costs, minimize downtime, and ensure your vehicles operate at peak performance. Contact AFS today to learn more about our preventive maintenance program!
Common Issues With The Cummins X15 Engine And How To Fix Them
While the Cummins X15 outclasses its competitors regarding engine power and reliability, it is worth noting that even the most robust engines suffer from their own problems. In this article, we'll be diving into the most common Cummins X15 problems and the steps you can take to solve them.
Peterbilt 359: Why You Need To Add One To Your Fleet
If you're looking to grow your heavy-duty diesel fleet, sometimes the best solution is a classic one. In this article, we'll explore what makes the Peterbilt 359 an iconic truck and the benefits of adding it to your roster.
Factors To Consider When Selecting A Heavy Duty Truck Fleet Repair Shop
In this article, we'll explore some of the most important factors to keep in mind when choosing a heavy-duty truck fleet repair shop, as well as why we here at Accelerated Fleet Services may be a perfect fit for you.
Contact Us or Schedule a Service
Call us or schedule your equipment in for a service using our contact form.
- Monday: 7AM-4PM
- Tuesday: 7AM-4PM
- Wednesday: 7AM-4PM
- Thursday: 7AM-4PM
- Friday: 7AM-4PM
- Saturday: Appointment Only
- Sunday: Closed